Monday, December 22, 2008

What's in a name

I had a very rough night yesterday. I wanted to register a domain name for myself. This would be my online identity.

I popped open the browser and went to godaddy.com and began the hunt for the perfect domain name. I wanted something catchy, something intelligent, something geeky.

I tried everything from rwxrwxrwx.com to ls-al.com to logn.com. Taken, taken and taken again. I got one or two names which were available like onlogn.com (O(nlogn)). But come on, that wouldn't serve the purpose. I wanted people to know I was a geek without me telling them.

So, after spending close to 5 hours searching for a perfect name, I am settling for ajeya.net. Something unimaginative, unoriginal, so cliché.

P.S: I came across this article in PC World. Interesting read.

2 comments:

Srikanth said...

Ajeya,

You should've tried O(n!), infact onfactorial.com is available! (But I wouldn't be proud to have that domain).

Yes, I also had to settle for a stupid domain name... And, I'm very surprised to see that ajeya.com is not available!

If you want to do quick domain name searches, try:
http://ajaxwhois.com/

That's the end of the first comment on your blog.

Ajeya Sharma said...

The key thing about domain names is that they people should remember it. Moreover onfactorial.com sounds like a blog about factorials :-)

ajeya.com is not available till 2010. I amm probably try and snap it then :-).

And thank you very much for my first comment.