Thursday, December 25, 2008

ajeya.net is now live

I finally got around to registering ajeya.net today. It is live now !

I also took godaddy.com hosting services. I figured I could use some web space for experimenting with PHP and what not. So, I paid for the 150 GB Linux plan which set me back by $125.00 for 2 years. After a couple of hours of trying very hard and failing to convince myself that I needed all that space, I called godaddy.com customer support and canceled the hosting plan. I am glad I did because all I needed was to enable Google Apps for my domain which came with everything I want for now.

Setting up Google Apps for ajeya.net was a breeze and I had it working in less than 10 minutes. Google required me to confirm that I did own the domain. I did so by creating a CNAME host entry for a random string (provided by Google) and pointing that to google.com. With the domain ownership confirmed, the services were enabled immediately.

I then wanted to activate Gmail and was given instructions on setting up the MX records for my domain. After I updated the records at godaddy.com, it took an hour or so for the DNS records to propogate across the internet and for Gmail to work (I could login and compose a message but I could not send the message).

I now have Gmail for my own domain, along with Chat, Docs, Sites and Calendar. I am not really sure if I will ever use the other services but I enabled them anyway. The final step was to setup the landing page for my domain and for now it will be this blog.

So, welcome to ajeya.net!!

No comments: