Friday, January 2, 2009

QR Codes

I met up with Srikanth at Cafe Coffee Day last week. While we were sipping some overpriced beverages, our conversation went around to the topic of 'mobile tagging'.

The image below explains what mobile tagging is all about.


You just point your phone's camera to a 2D bar code, take a picture of it and decode it. There are several 2D bar code formats but one of the most popular is QR (or Quick Response) code.

QR codes can contain anything from plain alphanumeric text (or a website address or an SMS message) to airline tickets. The Japanese even use QR codes on graves. Check out this interesting article about potential uses of QR code in India.

There are several QR code generators out there including one from Google. Download a QR code-reader for your phone from BeeTagg and find out where the code below takes you :-).


2 comments:

Srikanth said...

Very interesting... I couldn't find a single online QR code reader. What I mean is, I want to give an image (say the one you have in your post) and find out what it is.

Or, am I being very impatient with my searching?

Ajeya Sharma said...

Actually, there is one at http://zxing.org/w/decode.jspx. It works well. I used "qr code online decoder" as my search query. :-)